College Scholarships in the Philippines
Did you know that a student from Isabela recently received a scholarship from Duke University in Durham, North Carolina? Edrian Paul Liao, a Philippine Science High School graduate, dreams of creating innovations combining technology with agriculture to help farmers like his dad. Edrian’s story can be every Filipino student’s story, too, if you start searching for the right scholarships in the Philippines.
It’s interesting to know that there are scholarship programs for incoming college students in the Philippines. You need not look far for financial assistance to pursue your dreams because we’ve compiled as many scholarship grants as we can, both from government agencies and private institutions.
What are the Available Scholarships in the Philippines for 2021?
Government Scholarships for College Students in the Philippines
CHED Scholarship 2021
The Commission on Higher Education (CHED) is currently accepting applications for scholarships and grants for SY 2021-2022 under the State Scholarship Program (Full Scholarship and Partial Scholarship) and Private Education Student Financial Assistance (PESFA).
Deadline of application: August 15, 2021
- PHP 120,000 for private colleges and universities
- PHP 80,000 for public colleges and universities
Primary qualification: General weighted average (GWA) of 93%
- Filipino citizens graduating from high school
- General weighted average (GWA):
- Full scholarship: 96%
- Half-merit scholarship: 93%-95%
- Must enroll in recognized priority programs in Private Higher Education Institutions (PHEI) or State Universities and Colleges (SUCs) or accredited Local Universities and Colleges (LUCs) with Certificates of Program Compliance (COPC)
- Parents of applicants must have a maximum combined annual gross income of PHP 400,000 (Solo parents and guardians annual income must not exceed the said amount.
- Applicants must avail of only one government-funded financial assistance program.
To apply, CHED requires two sets of requirements:
- Academic documents composed of Form 137 or report card from high school and duly certified true copy of grades for Grade 11 and 1st Semester of Grade 12 for graduating high school students
- Income documents can be any of the following:
- Latest ITR of parents or guardians, if employed
- Certificate of Tax Exemption from the BIR
- Certificate of Indigency from the barangay
- Certificate/case study from DSWD
- Latest copy of contract or proof of income for children of OFWs and seafarers.
CHED priority courses:
Before applying, please note that CHED has a list of priority courses that applicants should enroll in.
- Engineering and Technology – Examples of programs under this discipline include Food Engineering, Geodetic Engineering, and Industrial Engineering
- Science and Mathematics – Courses to consider include Biochemistry, Biology, Botany, Chemistry, Environmental Science, and Geology.
How to Apply for CHED Scholarship
- Applicants should create an account (by Region)
- Region 1-https://stufaps.chedro1.com/application/
- Region 2-https://stufaps.chedregion2.com/Controller_application
- Region 3-https://chedro3.ched.gov.ph/chedro3stufap/
- Region 4-https://www.chedcalabarzon.com/csp
- Region 5-https://www.chedro5stufap.com/index.php/application/app_for
- Region 6-https://chedro6.com/
- Region 7–http://chedro7.com/csp/
- Region 8-https://www.chedro8stufap.com/
- Region 9-https://www.chedro9.com/
- Region 10-https://bit.ly/CHEDCSPRegionX
- Region 11-https://stufaps.chedroxi.com/
- Region 12-https://bit.ly/CHEDCSPRegion12
- BARMM (Follow our FaceBook Page)
Upload documentary requirements in PDF format.
Save your username and password.
Regularly check with the CHED Regional Office to track recent updates.
DOST Scholarship 2021
Students who want to pursue a career in science and technology can apply for a scholarship from the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) through the S&T Undergraduate Scholarships Program.
Deadline of application: Wait for DOST announcement
The scholarship application for SY 2021-2022 is now closed (as of this writing), but those who are aiming to qualify for SY 2022-2021 should wait for announcements from the DOST during the third quarter of 2021.
Total benefits: PHP 80,000 – PHP 120,000 per year
Applicants should be a member of the Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) strand in high school or should belong to the top 5% of the class for the non-STEM strand.
- Natural-born Filipino citizens
- “Poor, talented, and deserving” students who belong to a family whose socio-economic status does not exceed the set values of certain indicators;
- Residents of the municipality as attested by the barangay
- In good health and of good moral character
- Must not have any post-secondary or undergraduate units
- Have not taken any previous DOST-SEI examination or have taken the DOST-SEI Undergraduate Examination but did not qualify for the scholarship
- Qualifier of the DOST-SEI Undergraduate Scholarship but did not avail of the award
- Must pass the S&T Scholarship Examination
DOST Scholarship Requirements:
- Personal Information (Form A)
- Household Information Questionnaire (Form B)
- Certificate of Good Moral Character (Form C)
- Certificate of Good Health (Form D)
- Principal’s Certification (Form E1 or E2): Form E1- if the applicant belongs to the senior high school STEM strand class and Form E2 – if the applicant belongs to the upper 5% of the NON-STEM strand senior high school graduating class
- Certificate of Residency (Form F)
- Parent’s Certification(Form G)
- Applicant’s Certification (Form H)
- Signed Declaration by the applicant and the Parent/Legal Guardian (Form I)
- Recent (1”x1”) picture
- Photocopy of Birth Certificate
- Parent/s recent Income Tax Return / W2 / Employment Contract for OFW / BIR Cert. of Exemption from Filing of ITR / Brgy. Cert. of Indigency
DOST priority courses
Here are a few of the many courses you may consider when applying for a DOST college scholarship:
- Applied Mathematics
- Information and Communications Technology
- Materials Engineering
- Astronomy Technology
- Mathematics and Science Teaching
- Bachelor in Technology and Livelihood Education with Specialization in Information and Communications Technology
How to Apply for DOST Scholarship
Once government scholarships for college in the Philippines from DOST are already available, follow the steps below to apply:
Download an application form online via www.science-scholarships.ph or contact any DOST office and regional center.
Contact the following for inquiries on the DOST scholarship application process:
S&T Scholarship Division
- Telephone number: (02) 8837-2071 loc. 2382
- Mobile number.: 09278868816;
- E-mail: [email protected]
- Online system: www.science-scholarships.ph/support
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/CHEDscholarship