OFW Dependent Scholarship Program (ODSP), OWWA (Overseas Workers Welfare Administration) provides a variety of scholarships to OFW dependents and beneficiaries.
One of the scholarship programs available includes the OFW Dependent Scholarship Program (ODSP). This scholarship program is available to dependents of active OWWA members enrolled or planning to enroll in any 4-year or 5-year baccalaureate course at any college or university. Any OFW’s dependent who is an active member of OWWA is eligible to apply.
Also Read: List of Government Scholarship in The Philippines
The OFW Dependents Scholarship Program (ODSP) provides financial assistance of P20,000.00 per academic year to eligible dependents of active OWWA members with a monthly salary of not more than US$600.
What is OFW Dependent’s Scholarship Program?
OFW dependents (siblings or children) who intend to enroll or are already enrolled in any degree course at a state college or university of their choosing, and whose OFW relative receives a monthly salary of NOT more than USD 600 in equivalent, are eligible for this program.
OFW Dependents Scholarship Program (ODSP) provides financial assistance of PHP 20,000.00 per academic year to eligible dependents of active OWWA members. So the PHP 20,000 per year is really helpful for OWWA scholars.
What are the Qualifications?
Here are the qualifications to apply for the ODSP project:
- OFW OWWA member must have a salary of $600 and below.
- For new freshmen, the child of an active OWWA member or a sibling of an unmarried OWWA member who is single and not more than 21 years old; for those who are already enrolled or have been enrolled in college, the child of an active OWWA member who is single and not more than 30 years old.
- He or she must have graduated from high school and be physically, mentally, and morally fit.
- He or she must pass an entrance exam administered by a state college or university in the OWWA Regional Welfare Offices where he or she plans to enroll.
- You could not have earned any other scholarship grants.
What are the Requirements?
Below are the document requirements you need to secure in order to apply for the ODSP program
- Accomplished ODSP Application Form (2 copies) – Download here –
- 2×2 Recent and Identical Photos (2 copies)
- Proof of relationship to an OWWA member. Any of the following:
- Birth Certificate (issued by PSA) of applicant, if child of OFW (ORIGINAL)
- Birth Certificate (issued by PSA) of both applicant & OFW, if OFW’s brother/sister
- Certificate of No Marriage (CENOMAR of OFW) from PSA (proof of unmarried)
- For new first-year college students, fill out Form 137; for those already enrolled in college, fill out Transcript of Records or Certificate of Grades.
- Proof of OWWA membership. Any of the following:
- Official Receipt of OWWA Contribution
- OFW Verification Sheet issued by MPC
- Health Certificate
- Certificate of good moral character issued by the principal/guidance counselor
- Certification that applicant belongs to the upper 20% of the High School Graduating Class and that he/she has a GWA average of above 80% in his Grade 12 report card.
- Applicant’s Certificate of not having taken post secondary or undergraduate/ college units and not a Recipient of any scholarship grant / has not taken the EDSP Qualifying Examination.
- Sworn Statement that he/she has no pending application for resident immigrant status in any country and does not have dual citizenship signed by parent or legal guardians.
- Contract salary of OFW not to exceed 600USD (photocopy)
How to Apply for OWWA OFW Dependent Scholarship Program
Here’s a step by step guide how you can apply for the ODSP scholarship:
- Download or secure the Application Form. You may get this form in your nearest OWWA Regional office.
ODSP Application Form Link
- Complete the form to the best of your knowledge. Complete all of the documentation specifications.
- Submit all documents to the OWWA Regional Welfare Office or via online.
- Alternative submission: Send Application Form, Evaluation Form and required documentation to Courier Services (LBC, j&T. JRS. Etc.).]
- Wait for the call from OWWA if you are in the applicants slot.
- For more information, visit owwa.gov.ph
NOTE: You may contact your nearest OWWA regional office through their respective Facebook page or here: https://www.owwa.gov.ph/index.php/contact-us.
Sample ODSP Application Form:
Reminders and Important Things to Know about OFW Dependent Scholarship Program
Filling of application starts every June of each school year. Deadline for submission of application is every first week of August of each year or as prescribed by ROCS (Responsible Outgoing College Students) based on the scheduled qualifying exam conducted by DOST (Department of Science and Technology).
An applicant must be 4th year high-school student and belongs to the graduating class at the time of the application.
Application with incomplete documentary requirements will not be accepted.
Applications are subject for review and further verification as to the documentary requirements submitted.
Application approval only identifies applicants who are qualified to take the national competitive exam conducted by DOST (Department of Science and Technology). Examinees who belong to the top 200 passers will qualify for the scholarships.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are some frequently asked questions about this project:
- Do you have scholarships for incoming 2nd year students?
Yes, the ODSP (OFW Dependent Scholarship Program) are for incoming college students (First Year College) and enrolled college students (Second Year to Fifth Year).
- How do I apply if I live far away?
Download the application form and complete the required documents and send the complete required documents to the nearest OWWA Regional office.
- How much is the Financial Assistance for OFW Dependent Scholarship Program?
The amount of financial aid is P20,000 per academic year.
- Is my son/daughter, who is 22 years old, qualified?
If your child is an incoming freshman and is 22 years old or older, he or she is NOT eligible.
Only freshmen 21 years old and under are qualified.
Your child is also eligible if he or she is already studying in the second to the fifth year of school and is under the age of 30.
- Would my younger sibling be able to participate in the program?
If you are single and have a sibling under the age of 21, he or she is eligible.
Disclaimer: Always check the official website before applying
So as you might have noticed, OWWA is offering many scholarship projects for children and dependents of OFWs. So it is really important that we are aware of these programs and we take advantage of them. After all, any type of subsidy is already helpful and this is also for the education and future of your children.
OFWs are advised to make the most of these scholarship programs. In case you are seeking for further information, you may contact your nearest OWWA Regional Welfare office/branch. You can also visit https://owwa.gov.ph/index.php/programs-services/education-training.